To analyse the network communication it is often necessary to record network traffic at a switch port. This can be implemented via a port mirroring on managed switches. By doing this the network traffic is mirrored from one or multiple switch ports to another switch port where a network participant records the traffic.
This article describes how to configure port mirroring on an XS series switch.
1) Connect to the webinterface of the switch and go to the menu System → Port → Mirroring.
2) Click on the "pencil" icon near Destination to change to the menu Destination Configuration.
3) Modify the following parameters and click Submit:
The negotiated data rate of the destination port has to be at least equivalent to the negotiated data rate of the source port(s). Otherwise not all network traffic can be recorded which highly complicates the analysis or even renders it impossible. This is definitely to be considered when using multiple source ports.
4) Click Configure Source to change to the menu Source Configuration.
5) Modify the following parameters and click Submit:
By pressing and holding the <Strg> button multiple ports can be selected.
6) Click Configure Session to change to the menu Session Configuration.
7) For Mode select the option Enable and click Submit.
8) With the configuration complete, click on Save Configuration in the top right-hand corner to save the configuration as the start configuration.
The start configuration is retained even if the device is restarted or there is a power failure.
9) Acknowledge the save process by clicking OK.
Wird der Port-Mirror nicht mehr benötigt, muss dieser deaktiviert werden: