LANCOM Advanced VPN Client on
Windows 8 , you need
at least a version 2.3 license .
License upgrades are available from specialist resellers and distributors. Note the information and the licensing scheme on the
product page of the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client .
Microsoft Windows 8 is supported as of version 2.31 of the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client. If you operate a Windows 7 system with an installation of the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client version 2.31, an update to Windows 8 can be carried out without restrictions. If the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client version 2.31 is installed on a newly-installed Windows 8 system, there are similarly no restrictions.
When upgrading a Windows 7 system with an installation of the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client of version 2.30 or earlier, certain circumstances can lead to the occurrence of errors in the Windows 8 registry, which affect the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client. To avoid this error, we recommended the following procedure for an upgrade involving these components:
- Profile settings: Create a backup of your profile(s) with the aid of the Configuration menu in the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client.
- Certificates: Make sure that you have copies of the soft certificates (PKCS#12 files). If certificates are stored in the Microsoft CSP User Certificate Store, follow the instructions from Microsoft for backing-up the CSP store, or make sure that the original certificates used for the CSP store are available.
- Copy all backup files to an external data medium, so that they can be recovered in the event of loss.
- Now perform the upgrade to Windows 8.
- Then, install the latest version of the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client over the existing VPN client. The setup program automatically recognizes the installation of the previous version, but it updates the program files and makes a backup of the existing configuration settings.
1) Backing up the profile settings:
1.1) Open you the menu Configuration -> Profile settings backup -> Create.
1.2) Confirm the subsequent message with Yes.
The backed-up profile settings are stored to the file
NCPPHONE.SAV in the installation directory of the LANCOM Advanced VPN Client. To restore the profile settings, select the menu item Configuration -> Profile settings backup-> Restore.
2) Backing up the certificates:
Certificate backups are done with the Windows 7 Certificate Manager. An Export Wizard is available.