This article describes how to configure the DHCP server on an XS-51xx series switch.
- Switch of the XS-51xx series
- LCOS SX as of version 5.00 RU2 (download latest version)
- Already configured and functional routing on the switch (if the switch acts as a gateway and/or DNS server)
- Any web browser for access to the web interface
Setting up DHCP for a network:
1) Connect to the web interface of the switch and navigate to the menu Routing → DHCP Server → Global.
2) Under Admin mode, select the option Enable to activate the DHCP server and then click Submit.
3) Switch to the menu Routing → DHCP Server → Pool Summary and click Add to create a DHCP pool.
4) Modify the following parameters and then click Submit:
- Pool Name: Enter a descriptive name for the DHCP pool.
- Type of Binding: Check that the option Dynamic is selected.
- Network Base Address: Enter the network address of the network from which IP addresses are to be distributed via DHCP.
- Network Mask: Enter the subnet mask for the related network.
- Lease Expiration: You can optionally adjust for how long the DHCP assignment remains valid. With the default setting Disable the assigned IP address remains valid for 60 days.
- Default Router Address: Enter the IP address of the gateway. If the switch also performs the routing, its IP address from the DHCP network must be entered (see Network Base Address).
- DNS Server Address 1: Enter the IP address of a DNS server. If the switch also operates as a DNS server, its IP address from the DHCP network must be entered.
- DNS Server Address 2: You can optionally enter the IP address of an additional DNS server.
By default, the DNS server on an XS-51xx series switch is enabled. It sends DNS requests to its gateway (next hop address).
5) Click on Save Configuration in the top right corner to save the configuration as the start configuration.
The start configuration is retained even if the device is restarted or there is a power failure.
6) This concludes the configuration of DHCP on the switch.
You can view the IP addresses assigned by the DHCP server to individual devices in the menu Routing → DHCP Server → Bindings.