This article describes how a firmware update can be performed on an access point with LCOS LX operating system.
Note that the device will restart following a firmware update. Perform the firmware update only when a brief loss of the device functions is practicable.
Separate release processes exist for firmware versions that are provided via the Auto Updater, the software update in LANconfig/WEBconfig, and the LANCOM Management Cloud. As a result, new firmware versions on these platforms are available slightly later.
- Access point with LCOS LX operating system
- LX-6400 / LX-6402
- LANtools as of version 10.40 RU1 (download latest version)
- Any web browser for accessing the webinterface
1) Update using the Auto Updater integrated in LCOS:
LANCOM routers and access points offer an Auto Updater feature for firmware versions as of LCOS 10.20. This enables devices to keep their firmware up to date independently. The device has to be connected to the Internet for this.
1.1) Open the device configuration in LANconfig, navigate to the menu Management → Software update and adapt the parameters to your individual needs.
- Mode: Leave this option set to Check & update in order for the device to update firmware automatically.
- Check-Interval: Choose between Daily and Weekly.
- Version-Policy: Choose between the different settings.
- Latest version: Default setting
The system will always update to the highest available firmware version (e.g. from 5.10 Rel to 5.10 RU2 or even 5.20 Rel).
- Current version:
An update is performed within a release only (e.g. from 5.10 Rel to 5.10 RU2 but not to 5.10 Rel).
- Security patches only:
Updates are performed for security updates only. So far there is no security update available for LCOS LX (as at September 2020).
- Latest version w/o release:
Updates are performed for release updates, security updates and patch releases only (e.g. 5.10 RU1 to 5.20 RU2, but not to 5.20 Rel).
- Check time frame: Enter the desired time frame during which checks for new firmware versions are carried out.
- Installation time frame: Enter the desired time frame during which new firmware is installed.
2) Firmware update via LANconfig:
2.1) Firmware update via the LANconfig Online Updater:
2.1.1) Mark the device in LANconfig, right-click on the device and, in the context menu, select Firmware management → Check for Firmware Updates.
2.1.2) Make sure, that Search updates online is active and click OK.
2.1.3) Select the firmware version and click Download to perform the update.
2.2) Manual firmware update via LANconfig:
2.2.1) Download the firmware from the download area and save it to your PC.
2.2.2) Mark the device in LANconfig, right-click on the device and, in the context menu, select Firmware management → Upload new firmware.
2.2.3) Select the firmware downloaded in step 2.2.1 and click Open to perform the update.
3) Firmware update via WEBconfig:
3.1) Connect to the device via the web interface (WEBconfig) and click on the Firmware version in the Dashboard.
As an alternative you can also click on the three dots and select Upgrade firmware.
3.2) The access point automatically searches for the current firmware (Internet connection of the access points is necessary). Click Update now to perform the firmware update.
As an alternative you can also download the firmware from the download area and upload it manually by selecting the file via the button Select file and clicking on Upload and Update afterwards.
4) Central firmware management by WLAN controller:
In a WLAN controller scenario, the firmware of managed access points and Wi-Fi routers can be updated by the WLAN controller.
Instructions are available in this Knowledge Base article.
5) Firmware update via the LANCOM Management Cloud:
Devices managed by the LANCOM Management Cloud (LMC) can receive firmware updates via the LMC.
5.1) Login to the LMC and click on Devices.
5.2) Mark the device to be updated, click on the three dots in the upper right corner, and select Firmware update.